Dry Potato Curry is one of the most popular side dishes in Sri Lanka. This dish is made from boiled potatoes and is called ‘ala theldala’ in Sri Lanka. This potato curry is vegan, vegetarian, and gluten-free and can be served with any of your favorite carbs including various types of bread.
This spicy dry potato curry is also known by these names.
- Devilled potatoes.
- Tempered potatoes.
- Ala baduma in Sinhalese.
- Potato fry.
- And dry curried potatoes.
You can serve Sri Lankan Dry Potato Curry with these dishes
- Serve with any type of rice dish
- Sri Lankan Yellow Rice
- egg biryani
- Serve with flatbreads or various paratha or roti
- Garlic naan roti
- Sri Lankan pol roti
- Egg roti
Here is our Sri Lankan Dry Potato Curry Recipe
Sri Lankan Dry Potato Curry Recipe
- 500 g Potatoes
- 1 inch Cinnamon bark
- 8 cloves Garlic
- 1 Onion thinly sliced
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 2 tsp Red Chili Powder
- 2 tbsp Chili Flakes
- 1 tsp Aba (Mustard Seed)
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tbsp Oil
- Salt to taste
- Boil the potatoes. Peel the skin and cut it into big cubes and keep it aside.
- Grind the garlic. keep aside.
- Put a pan on the stove and add a little oil.
- Once the oil is hot add the cinnamon stick, mustard seeds, and curry leaves and let it crackle.
- Add the crushed garlic. let it infuse the flavor into the oil. Add sliced onions and saute until it turns translucent.
- Add the turmeric powder, red chili powder, and red chili flakes and mix well. Now, add the boiled and cubed potatoes,
- season with salt and mix well. Let the potato mix slow cook with the spices for 10 minutes
- Once the potatoes are fully coated with the spices and have come together, add in the lemon juice, mix well and turn off the heat.
Source ISLAND SMILE
How to Boil Potatoes
- Normal Boiled – Place the potatoes in a pan, and pour water just enough to cover the potatoes. Do not add salt while boiling. Boil the potatoes until they are tender. this should take 30-45 minutes. The cooking time depends on the size of the potatoes. You can check if they are done by inserting a knife through the potatoes if the knife goes through smoothly, the potatoes are done.
- Pressure Cooker – When cooking potatoes with a pressure cooker, remove from the heat when you hear two whistles in the cooker.
Health Benefits of Potatoes
There are a lot of health benefits to potatoes. They are a great source of potassium, vitamin C, vitamin B6, and vitamin A. Potatoes can help you lower your risk of heart disease, stroke, and some types of cancer. They are also a good source of fiber, which can help you feel full longer and reduce the number of calories you eat.
We have previously shared with you many ways to make a delicious recipe like this. Below is how to make such Recipes.
Hello and welcome to Limitless Spice Classroom. Check out all of our recipes and cooking lessons for the new Home cooks. I make home cooking easy, approachable, and enjoyable. Everyday food with everyday ingredients! waiting for limitless Spices.
You can also follow us on the Youtube channel Limitless Spice
Check out more delicious recipes